Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Bombay Rockers live at DCE

College fests were so much fun this time. I didn't attend much of any techfest but was there in almost every event at our cultural fest(Engifest). I must congratulate all the organizers of Engi as IMHO the standard of Engi increased by leaps and bounds from last year.

I have a lot to write about but I will put everything in a separate post later(watch out for it!), this post is dedicated to the MEGA EVENT, live performance by Bombay Rockers. First, I have to tell you that Bombay Rockers is one of my favorite bands(you can confirm that from my orkut profile), this may sound as an amateurish choice but I really think they are awesome, I love the fusion of Hip-Hop/Bhangra and English/Punjabi they have created. There first album "Introducing" is from the time when I actually used to buy my music(like by paying for it), it is the album I have heard the most ever(yeah!)

So obviously I was very excited when I heard Bombay Rockers were going to perform at Engi, the only dampener in my excitement was that I thought they were going to lip-sync(they didn't though).

So after the Western group dance was over, it was announced that they were here and were going to perform in a few minutes so I went to Mech canteen to have a quick snack. When I was coming out of the canteen I heard something like a countdown, 10...9..8..(I ran to OAT)...7..6.....2..1...Ashish Jha(college student president) comes on the stage, lol, with his usual warnings of canceling the event.

Soon Bombay rockers came out and started with Rock the Party/Teri To(their most popular number in India), and pretty soon the whole OAT stage was crowded with fans(the crowd was huge, the reasons being IP examinations were over a day before, it was a Sunday and obviously Bombay Rockers were here). Me and Ajay tried to cut through the crowd and managed to come to the front(almost).

The next number they sang was Nonstop for which the lyrics said "We gonna start with the ladies in the front" where they wanted the girls in the front to cheer and then "We move to ladies in the back" when they wanted the ladies in the back to make some noise, this kind of audience interaction though had to fail at DCE(REASON--miraculously skewed sex ratio at DCE).

Then they went on with other tracks from the album, Ari-Ari(another popular number), Substitute, Wild Rose(one of my favorites), Out of Control, Sexy Mama, Bring your Girlfrind.
They didn't sing Shimi Shake, Lovesick, Name & Number and X-rated though, instead they performed a Bombay Rockers remix of the popular AR Rehman track Chaiyan Chaiyan, and some popular Bhangra numbers(they knew north-indians have this Bhangra-fever).

And one funny thing which kept happening during the concert was whenever Navtej(the Indian half of Bombay Rockers) addressed his audience as "DCE", the audience kept screaming "ROCKS". When the third time the same thing happened, Navtej had to say "Guys! I am not finished yet". This incident speaks a lot about the IQ of DCE students.

In all it was a great performance, much above my expectations, I couldn't stop dancing the whole hour they performed. I think others loved them too as there was a loud encore too.
If you enjoyed the performance as much as me, then say it with me "When I say Bombay you say Rockers...Bombay...ROCKERS...Bombay....ROCKERS
Repeat"


PS: The snap above is borrowed from the blog From The DCE Campus.

5 comments:

Aanchal said...

they WERE lip-syncing.......we were told by the host that before going on stage they had checked again and again whether the miks were switched off or not........and secondly their "ladies in the front" tactic was not a flop as WE were the ladies in the front and were screeching like anything! :)

Aseem Behl said...

Oh! you were in the front and you couldn't make out if they were lip-syncing or not, cumon yaar!

"we were told by the host that before going on stage they had checked again and again whether the miks were switched off or not"

lol, I can't stop laughing. They were checking whether the mics were working fine.

They were singing on tracks without vocals(like they do in shows like Indian Idol). The tracks just had the music and the chorus except for the non-BR songs.

Anyways, glad to hear that you gals enjoyed it too.

Aanchal said...

see, we could make out they were lip syncing.....and khushboo, the host, told us later as an extra proof that they were not really singing.in fact their entire track was exactly the same as what they had sung in miranda house............it is me who should laugh!actually im surprised!

Aseem Behl said...

My apologies, if my previous comment came across as rude.
It would be great if we don't argue further over it.

Aanchal said...

all right, im sorry too......i kinda lost my temper........ you're right.....i too dont wanna argue on this anymore!
:)